How to join a Community Garden on the Gold Coast
Story and photo by Lyn Mansfield, October 2021
COMMUNITY GARDENS ARE MORE THAN JUST ABOUT GROWING VEGETABLES.
IT’S ABOUT GROWING A COMMUNITY!
When you walk into any of the community gardens on the Gold Coast you will see a passionate gardener. If you don’t know what to grow you will always find someone that will share their knowledge and teach you a thing or two.
Some of the activities in a community garden:
- growing organic vegetables, herbs, fruit, and nut trees
- community meetings
- education through workshops
- activities for children of all ages
- arts and cultural activities.
The benefits of community gardens:
- improves the quality of life for people in the area by building strong relationships
- fosters community engagement
- preserves the precious green spaces in urban environments
- provides opportunities for intergenerational and cross-cultural connections
- they are a great way of getting fresh air and exercise with no gym fees
- great places to learn about gardening and share local and traditional knowledge.
So, if you have a green thumb or just want to make new friends – community gardens are for everyone.
They are a place of creativity, inspiration, and friendship.
We hope to see you all soon in one of the many community gardens on the Gold Coast.
Contact Lyn Mansfield the Gold Coast Rep 0409 645 888 or firstname.lastname@example.org
to find your closest community garden or