A project of the Peninsula Environment Group – Its aim is to build an eco friendly, edible and medicinal community garden which will provide information (theoretical and practical) on growing and using organic food in an ecologically sustainable way.
Benefits to the community:
- Education on environmentally friendly, sustainable land use
- Information on how to establish and maintain gardens to provide healthy food.
- Build a stronger community by forging networks and links between various groups in the community including, children, youth, (via preschools, schools) elderly, women, men, and disabled, retired, working.
- Information on Plants and plant selection
- Learn about Growing conditions for plants
- Education on nutrition and diet in relation to fresh food
- Provide active and passive recreation area for all age groups
- Skills enhancement through education
- Break down barriers between various age groups / able vs disable, young/old
The garden will incorporate various growing areas, including:
• Raised garden beds with vegetables
• Small fruit grove
• Sensory and aromatic gardens
• Culinary and medicinal herb beds
• Bush tucker