Date/Time 27/10/2018 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Location Northey Street City Farm
Booking detailsonline https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/your-soil-know-it-use-it-care-for-it-improve-it-tickets-49678338247
Do you want answers to any of these (or other) questions about your soil?
- Can you grow fruit and veggies in it?
- How do you tell a good soil from a bad soil?
- What soil tests can you do yourself?
- How can you find out if you have contaminated soil?
- What can you do about soil contaminated with heavy metals, herbicides, fungicides, pesticides or other chemicals?
- How can you build in protection for your garden plants from soil pathogens?
- Why should you feed your soil, not your plants? What about foliar feeding?
In this workshop, led by permaculturist Adrian Holbeck and mycorrhizal specialist and soil biologist Katia Plouznikoff, you will learn basic soil science and why it works: structure, texture, nutrients and nutrient cycling; soil biology; the roles of air, water and pH; and many simple tests you can do with your own soil. We will discuss what plants need, how plants grow and what plants do for soil.
Upon these foundations, you will then explore secrets of soil improvers and many practical how-to’s, including:
- composts and compost teas
- pH changers
- microlife, macrolife and soil beneficials
- organic Materials
- improving structure and texture
- nutrient rich materials
- worm farming
- sources of commercial products and information
This workshop aims to give you knowledge, tools and simple techniques to learn about and improve your soil. If there is sufficient interest, we will develop another one-day workshop on soil testing and low-cost fertilisers and treatments you can prepare at home.
COST: $100/$85 health care card holder + booking fee