…for community garden organisers
You might find these skills among your community garden group or in community college courses, your local library or on the worldwide web.
- garden soil preparation and garden construction
- propagating plants from seed and planting out
- compost making
- using mulch
- organic pest management
- conserving water in the garden
- how to draw up a planting calendar for gardening through the seasons.
- participatory design processes, decision making and problem solving
- conflict resolution
- facilitating meetings
- helpfulness, tolerance, patience and a sense of humour
- the ability to think laterally, develop innovative solutions, make do with what is at hand and apply your own creative intelligence.
Planning and starting your community garden by Russ Grayson + Fiona Campbell, 2002