We are very excited that the Blue Mountains Organic Community Gardens will be hosting the next Sydney Regional Community Gardens MeetUP on
- WHEN: Sunday 26 August 2012
- TIME: 11:00am until 2:30pm
- WHERE: Harold Hodgson Park, Katoomba, Use Victoria Street entry to the carpark
View Blue Mountains Organic Community Website
This is an exciting opportunity to meet up with like minded community gardeners from all over the extended Sydney region, and also for us to talk about and others to see what we are doing locally here in the Blue Mountains.
There will be anywhere from 15-50 people coming to the gardens to compare notes and talk about issues in Community Gardening. Attendance numbers will likely depend on the local weather but we hope to see lots of people turnup.
This is a regular MeetUP that moves around community gardens in the Sydney region and gives people the opportunity to discuss the issues that affect the volunteers, the garden spaces, their community related functions and events and even budgets. Listening to how others deal with them in both small and large community garden organisations is usually fascinating!
This meeting we will be looking for gardens to help with the National School & Community Garden Gathering that will be held in Randwick from 11-14 October. We will need lots of help to welcome and make gardeners from around Australian welcome.
The schedule for the day:
(This may be adjusted closer to the event)
- 10am—The usual local gardens volunteer Sunday session starts and we will be setting up for the MeetUP. Attendees can sign in from 10 am and have a look around.
- 11am—Welcome to the MeetUP and an organised tour of the local Community Gardens
- (we will be trying to move about quite quickly as we only have 30 minutes and we usually tend to talk a lot)
- 11:30am—Community gardens—tell us your story, what have you been up to?
- 12:30-1pm (30 Minutes)—Shared Lunch
- 1pm-1:35pm (35 minutes—Session 1 - Open space — bring your discussion topics or skill activities to share
- 1:40pm-2:15pm (35 minutes)—Session 2 - Open space — bring your discussion topics or skill activities to share
- 2:15pm—Checkout—where to from here — next meeting — focus for next meeting —confirm actions to complete for next meeting
What to bring:
- great stories about your gardens
- finger food to share for lunch and cool drinks if desired
- plate, cutlery and a mug for yourself.
We are located in the Blue Mountains at 1000metres above sea level – even though it’s spring bring some warm clothing!
We do not have electricity on site – but we do have a small kitchen area and a toilet. Hot water, milk, sugar etc for tea and coffee will be provided along with cups. Also some snacks and edibles will be provided for lunch and breaks. But Sydney gardeners, bring a plate of food to share for lunch and your own plate and cutlery as well if you could.
Check out the map showing how to get to the Gardens provided on the Blue Mountains Community Gardens website. We are located on the north side of Katoomba and about 5-10 mins walk from the Train Station.
If it is wet on the day we will still be going ahead but huddling under cover.